Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cook'in With Mark

Well for the end of this month, the recipe that I am using has been modified and changed so many times; I’m not sure what I started out with anymore.

The reason I modify it so often is due to a change in taste or a newly acquired taste that I didn’t previously have toward something I feel would go well in this soup. It really is that versatile of a soup. It is also the only way to get me to eat my vegetables.

If you dislike any of the ingredients, you can mix it up with personal choices. It is so easy to add more tomato or less water to change the stock. Use green beans in place of the edamame. Or as I have been doing recently – due to sweet potatoes hardier storage and healthier element – I use exclusively sweet potatoes.

This will sort of be a two part recipe, because the bread that I make to go with it will be posted next month. I don’t have that many favorite recipes, so I have to draw them out. And the truth be told, I’m not doing this because I am such a great cook and want to share my vast knowledge. I am doing this, because I am starting to misplace things and hope, if all else fails, I can go online and find a recipe that I have lost around the house.


Stone Soup

Serves 6 - 8

1 – 28 oz. can dice tomatoes

2 – 3 cloves, chopped garlic

½ C. chopped white onion

1 C. frozen edamame

1 C. sweet corn

1 lb. browned, ground turkey (or replace with picked meat from a roasted turkey)

1 C. sliced carrot

1 C. peeled, cubed sweet potato

1 C. cubed red potato

1 C. sliced mushroom

1 T. Italian seasoning

2 t. sea salt

1 t. pepper

(I’m not sure what size Crockpot I use and you don’t have to use a Crockpot. You may like using a stew pot on the stove top. I have done this and it is perfectly fine.)

Combine tomatoes, seasonings and water. What I typically do is use the tomatos can and add that much additional water. Experiment with more or less, depending on your preference for the tomato base.

Add the sweet corn, edamame, and turkey.

As I begin to heat these ingredients, I use this time to chop and slice the remaining ingredients. Usually starting with carrots (because the take the longest to cook,) followed with onion, potatoes, garlic and lastly, fresh mushrooms.

This soup is almost bullet proof. You can under cook it if you like a crunchier carrot, or over cook if you prefer softer veggies.

In my opinion, this soup is better if cooked and allowed to sit over night in the refrigerator. It allows the separate ingredients to mingle, and become friends. For food safety reasons, I will allow you to decide how and when you refrigerate.

Next month I will add the Oat Loaf that I always use with this meal.

So have fun with this and let me know what you discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment