Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cook'in With Mark

Now for the second part of last month’s Stone Soup recipe, I have added the Oat Loaf that I usually bake the day after, when my soup is ready to eat.

This is another recipe that has sort of evolved into what I currently bake. I can’t remember what the original recipe called for, but I have always used and really like to use a number 8 cast-iron skillet. I don’t really know how a circular cake pan would perform with this, and how the mix would respond to it.

Hearty Oat Loaf

Serves 8

Pre-heat the oven to 350°

3 C. whole wheat flour

¾ C. oat meal

1 T. Oatmeal for topping

3 t. baking powder

¼ t. salt

1 C. unsweetened apple sauce

1 ½ C. fat-free milk

1 large egg

1 T. canola oil (optional)

½ C. honey

Combine the dry ingredients and mix. Make a small depression in the center of the flour and add apple sauce, milk, egg, canola oil (if using) and then lightly stir in honey. Don’t over mix the honey; I think it might taste better if it isn’t as completely blended, it maybe adds flavor layers.

The results should be more of a batter than dough.

With a well greased skillet, pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle the remaining oatmeal over the top.

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes and start checking with a wooden skewer. It will typically take up to 40 minutes to cook, but I like to keep on top of this bread. Naturally I want a clean release, but will accept a slightly damp skewer and will then allow the loaf to cool off in the cast-iron skillet. Otherwise I will turn the skillet over and slightly shake to release the bread into my hand. I will then spin the skillet upside down on stove top (un-heated) and place the bread on the bottom of the skillet for cooling. Remember…this fresh out of the oven, hot pads are needed for the skillet and speed is needed for the loaf.

This bread is good served warm or cold. And when I say cold, I store mine in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Next month’s recipe will use chicken with a slightly different twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment