Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Field Trip!

Almost a week ago, Karie and I took a field trip to Heavenly Fiber Mill, in Reedstown, WI. I wanted to post something, but half way trough my writing, I stopped and just did the blank stare towards the monitor. I was like writing a review or some sort of a documentary. That wasn’t at all what I wanted, but didn’t know where to go, so hit the delete button.

So today I start again, fresh, older and so much wiser…and here I sit again. I just don’t know how to put it into words. Words that will convey how cool it was to finally be there and how cool it was to walk out of there excited once again. Darcy – the owner and major operator – was…no, IS so positive and it is contagious.

As anyone starting a business knows – just like in everyday life – there are good days, and then there are not so good days. Money can be, and in my case is very tight. I can’t really do this project as business 101 would advise, but take a look around you, it is really tough out there and I still consider myself lucky.

I do need to be reminded of this once in a while; actually, quite often.

But the field trip was a breath of fresh air, and with all of the time I have been spending in the office, on the computer, fresh air was what I needed.

We drove a good 3 hours to get there, and as we approached what should be the end, I wondered just what Google had waiting in surprise for us. We had turned so many times and seemed to be in the middle of Amish country, and I was pretty confident that Darcy wasn’t Amish.

But strangely enough, Google Map was right on, and with another bit of luck, I spotted Darcy as she was heading back into the shop, so knew we were at the right place.

After an awesome tour of the place, I knew I was at the right place and we settled down to business and discussed what I was going to have done and what I would take home with me.



Remember the p
art before about money being tight?
I ended up spending way more that I planned and still left behind some beautiful colors of yarn. There were just so many choices; I didn’t know what to do.

But I did leave behind some yarn that I bought and alpaca fiber I had purchased, just for this purpose and feel good about what we will have done to that. One of the positive things about driving 6 hours to visit the mill, I was moved forward in the shipping department and should receive the ordered yarn in a week or so. And by Thanksgiving time, I should have a line of yarn that I can dye or sell au naturel, and will market it under the Sugar River Fiber name. That will be really cool.

A friend of mine, asked me if I was going to put a picture of myself on it, like the Newman’s Own.



I think he might be on to something!

(Sorry about the funky font, blogger is screwing with me)



Visit us at Sugar River Fiber

No comments:

Post a Comment