Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rug Weaving Workshop

This isn’t directly about me, but as always, it does directly involve me. 

Karie enrolled in a rug weaving class with Jason Collingwood this past weekend at Vavning Studio – Shopiere Wisconsin. 

Shopiere is a quant little town in Southern Wisconsin and it definitely is a “don’t blink or you’ll miss it” kind of town. 

The actual studio takes residence in an abandoned Methodist Church.  Complete with the creaky floors that snap and pop as you walk over them, and the old building odors that remind you of years gone by.

Jason visits this tiny community every year, coming all the way from Colchester, Essex in the UK.

He doesn’t actually come over special for this three day class in nowhere Wisconsin. 

He try’s to combine it with as many other classes around the United States as possible.  While trying to get the classes to be as conveniently scheduled as possible.

Since Karie also attended last years class, I had the opportunity to first meet Jason then.

Despite the meeting only lasting a few minutes, he is quietly charismatic and memorable.

Seriously…I have his studio website linked up towards the top, and it is really remarkable what he has done and has still to do.  

For those that weave or have any knowledge of the work that goes into weaving, you would really appreciate his stories and rich history - that includes his father. 

****************************************

Moving the clock forward a year – back to present day – it was great to hang out with the weaving group again and just enjoy the vast experience that was in that room.

The personal dynamics where very different to me this year and I really didn’t want to leave in the afternoon to do my errands, but had to. 

I brought my drop spindle with that day and while hanging out there in the morning, I managed to spin up a pretty good chunk of singles, ply it, and wind it off onto whatever I could find to serve as a makeshift skein winder. 

I almost have all of my Shetland drop spindled and will proceed to make something from it and gift it to someone very special.

****************************************

On the final day of the workshop, Jason needed a place to hang out for a few hours and also needed transportation to a nearby town – where he would be staying for a week or so. 

Karie volunteered to take him to our local coffee shop for the afternoon and entertain him (poor – poor Jason.) Also our favorite Mexican Restaurant for dinner and drive him to his destination.

I have to admit, I was a little jealous of the coffee shop, but was fortunate enough to get home from work and enjoy the rest of the evening with them.

 

I do hope he enjoyed both of our local favorites, as Karie and I are not the most high-felutant people around.

Sincerely, 

Johnny Skein

2 comments:

  1. Hey Johnny Skein! (cool name)

    I got a pic of you spinning at the studio that will go on tomorrow's blog post. Stay tuned!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you and Karie again. Let me know if you want to stop by for a demo on the dye process using a yarn cake, although I've attached the link to when I blogged about it, using a double strand ball. I also tried it using 2 single strand balls, which was MUCH easier to skein up again after the dyeing.
    http://madcitymike.blogspot.com/2011/01/dyeing-yarn-in-ball-form.html

    ReplyDelete