Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Cook’in With Mark

I haven’t done a Cook’in With Mark post for a long time, so thought I would add something that we have been enjoying lately.

I half jokingly stated before. that the purpose of posting my favorite recipes here was to keep track of them…well, a few weeks ago I couldn’t find my Hearty Spaghetti recipe so had resort to paging back in Cook’in With Mark and guess what I found?

So in hindsight, I accurately planned ahead and was saved again .

I may be getting forgetful, but I’m not stupid…at least if I am, I don’t remember it later.

This is a modified recipe from Bob’s Red Mill advertisement in Mother Earth magazine.  I have tried to make it a little more healthy by reducing sugar and oil and adding honey and applesauce.

I also changed the flour ratio a little..or should say, replaced some of the whole wheat flour with all purpose flour.  I think it helps to lighten the cake up.


Whole Wheat Coffee Cake
1/2   C Softened butter                                                                             
3/4  C  Unsweetened Apple sauce                                                       
3   Large Eggs                                                                                                   
2    C    Whole Wheat Flour                                                                    
1     C    All Purpose Flour                                                                       
1/3  C  Wheat Germ                                                                                     
 1/2  C  Brown Sugar – Packed                                                               
1/2  C  Honey                                                                                                      
 1   1/2  t.  Baking Soda                                                                                      
1  1/2  t.  Baking Powder                                                                               
2   t.  Vanilla                                                                                                         
1   1/2  C  Buttermilk 

Filling
1/2  C  Brown Sugar – Packed                                                                 
1/2  C  Pecans – Chopped                                                                           
2  t.  Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a Bundt cake pan and set aside.  

In a small bowl – mix ingredients for filling and set aside.

In a medium bowl- beat butter, sugar, apple sauce, eggs, honey, vanilla and buttermilk. 

In large bowl – mix all dry ingredients and add wet ingredients.

Spoon 1/3 of the batter into greased pan, add topping and add the remaining batter.

Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, checking with wood skewer after 45 minutes and remove when skewer removes clean.  Remove from pan and let cool for 20 minutes.
Serve warm or eat left overs later. 
 
Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment