Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Errata–Shamatta

As many of you already know, a wonderful friend of Karie’s and mine has recently had a baby. 

Karie is going to weave a blanket and I am in the process of knitting a sweater.

Well as I have been knitting the sweater, I stumbled across and couple of small errors in the pattern – and while not significant in themselves, has really annoyed me! 

The more I dug into the errors in question...the more I became annoyed.  I was unhappy with my small wording errors and even more annoyed with the size references along.

I have recently set a more "standard" sizing for adult women, by referring to Pattern Maker Standards and more specifically Burda Patterns out of Germany rather than using Joe Blow.com.  

The clothing industry has been playing some modern day trickery by "making you feel good about yourself" but in the process they haven't been very real about the size labels vs. real measurements.  eg. as the population gets larger - the apparent size steadily gets smaller...hmm.  In the words of Randy Jackson "...just keep'in it real dawg."

The thing I liked about the Burda Sizing and Measurements is they appear more real to me – for a closer example of my market.  For my 6 followers (I may have picked up two unofficial followers since the last post) you are already painfully aware of my sizing target market.  

So while my target market is smaller…their sizes are real – only smaller…did that make any sense?  Before I confuse to complete Johnny Skeindom, I don’t plan on dressing the runway, so my ideas are for shorter more curvy bodies.

For infant knitwear, I have been using the craft counsels standards. 

I still maintain that they offer a tremendous amount of great information, only they appear to be small on the baby's measurements - creating a smaller sized garment. 

That doesn't make me very happy and quite honestly, it embarrasses me.  I am now in the process of "standardizing" these measurements and sizes also.  

When I get these charts with more realistic sizes, I will comment here again and offer it on JohnnySkein.com with all of the other sizing information.  These charts will represent Johnny Skein Standards. 

That way if a knitter begins to buy more JS patterns, they will have a better idea as to who they fit and can modify accordingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment