Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Johnny’s Weekend…

My weekend started out on Friday morning as I set up for the Wisconsin Spin-in.  This year it was held at the Waukesha Expo Center…in none other than Waukesha, WI.

One of the most miserable parts of vending here is the navigation through Waukesha.  It is apparent that there were about 20 too many people involved in the planning and development of the streets.  And apparently they all had their own ideas as to how it should be done and nobody bother talking with the other 19 members to consider what they would do.

Confusion with the one-way streets, navigating the many slight bends to the right and the little jogs to the left – well if that doesn’t leave one irritated I don’t know what will. 

Except for maybe the event it's self - this is when patience was in great demand…but severely lacking. 

For the 37th. year –or whatever- the event was severely lacking signage, direction and a clarity.  I was really disappointed in the event.

Too many classes…too few of classes…classes too close together…the fact that the Gun Show next door had more advertisement out front than we did… I don’t know, you tell me what happened and were it went so wrong???

Let’s just say that I was thinking of heading next door - and I don’t think I will be busy this weekend next year.

Okay, I’m done complaining.

I met some of the most wonderful people though – both in the booth and in the neighboring booths. 

One of the wonderful people that came into Johnny’s cave was Stephanie.  Stephanie was full of conversation and cheer and was a refreshing welcome for a slow day.  Stephanie is a blogger – crafty genius and I think a marketing force for some up and coming needle art products – I think?  I hope to get to know her more in the near future.

I was carousing the internet and found this picture on her blog.  Thanks for the mention Stephanie Red heart

spinin

A view from above with me talking to ????

I might be a little difficult to pick me out but it proves that I was there! 

Two more of my new friends are from The Green Yarn Company and openly refer to themselves as “happy hookers.”

Melissa and Carmen stumbled on this business with the idea of unraveling sweaters and re-selling the  yarn. 

I think their mission statement is something on the line of recycling, reusing and reclaiming…only I had to keep an eye on them to ensure they didn’t reclaim anything from my booth.

Another wonder meeting was Debbie and Dave Johnson from Appleton WI.  Debbie has a really awesome bead business in Appleton – Glass Onion Bead Company

Debbie and Dave were at this show representing a newer business that Debbie is pursuing with dyed roving and yarn -  Wooly Bully Yarn.   I don’t have her card on me as I write this so will not be able to link.

Debbie is so politically incorrect that we hit it off immediately and I couldn’t help but love her!

The last mention of new friends is Ingrid McMasters of Stoughton WI.  Ingrid is a friendly competent spinner and dyer. 

And a huge thanks to Karie for teaching a Rigid Heddle class and helping to drive Sugar River’s Rigid Heddle Party Classes.  And introducing me to a few more wonderful ladies.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! I did notice the lack of signage, too (we were definitely worried we'd accidentally show up at the well-publicized gun show). Hope to see you at a Chicagoland event later this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I was thinking of heading over to the gun show for awhile...

    ReplyDelete