Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

“…it must be so relaxing.”

News Flash…knitting does nothing for your aerobic capacity!

At the beginning of 2012, I began knitting at a feverish pace.  On more than one occasion I needed to get a project completed and would knit for 8-12 hours, two or three days straight. 

My fingers became raw and bloody before callouses formed.   My finger tips would sting every morning until the tips of my finger would submit and eventually numb. 

My fingers cracked and the needle would predictably funnel it’s pointed tip straight into the painful abyss.  

I  downed Advil like candy, so my aching shoulder would allow me to complete the day. 

Only to have it reoccur the following day.

Now this is a reality show of extreme knitting…and most of you are more balance than I. 

My shoulder is pretty much accustomed to this work load, but this extreme knitting did nothing to improve my fitness.

In 3 short years I have deteriorated to a rather large slug! 

Karie and I have both determined that we need to get out of this slugfest and get active again.  We began with walks..but unless we have the time for 5 plus miles, that just isn’t going to cut it. 

I made my first ride of the season today and rode to Lake Geneva – to meet with the photographer. 

I forgot what pain was!

My legs felt the burn…

My lungs felt the burn…

Tomorrow, my neck should feel the burn…

But my shoulder and fingers are oh so strong. 

I rode to Geneva on a major road, but decided that I had better take the back roads home – as I was weaving all over the road like a drunk sailor.  

The final safety challenge was crossing Hwy 50 after a medium grade climb.  I must have looked like a real life Frogger as I traversed the asphalt expanse. 

I made it home…I made it up every hill…

To the victor goes the spoils.

I am just glad that I didn’t spoil all over the road!

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean....my husband and I recently started to run. It's been 7 or 8 years since the last time I did that! Lucky for us, Chicago is completely flat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time, if I was only going out to ride 10 miles or so...I wouldn't even bother dragging the bike out because of the waste of my time. Now I ride 14 miles and hurt for the next two days.

      Delete
  2. If you are knitting socks, you might want to consider an antique circular sock knitting machine! Ohhhhh so much fun, one you learn how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the fiber business...I don't make that kind of money!

      They do look like fun though.

      Delete